Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lose Weight Drinking Wine

Did I get your attention?  I hope so. 

This post is a little off topic from my usual home renovation projects but there is a fun craft!

After having four little ones in four years I was overweight and miserable.  When my last born turned four months old I was ready to commit myself to Weight Watchers.  My sister was on the program and was dropping a lot of her baby weight!  I was diligent and it worked!  I lost over 50 lbs in about a year.  I was back to my pre-baby making weight and I even fit into my "old jeans" (which is probably one of the top 5 best feelings on Earth, for me anyway.)  I was able to maintain my weight for a few years but since our month long road trip last summer, I've definately fallen off the wagon.  I've gained back 15 lbs and sadly, those "old jeans" have been tucked away in the recesses of my pants drawer.

Lately, I've felt like my eating habits were heading into the danger zone...ya know, when you're just mindlessly choosing whatever you'd like to eat.  I kept choosing WW start dates that would come and go.  Or I would stick to it for a few days and then lose my mojo.  It was seriously starting to get to me.  After the New Year I started to think about the fact that this summer I'll be turning 30.  I would love nothing more than to blow out my birthday candles wearing a pair of my old jeans.  : )

WW works for me so I've committed myself to getting back on track.  One reason I've failed with other diets is because I hate feeling deprived of certain foods.  I love pizza, bread and wine and need to have those options in moderation.  Which brings me to my fun and useful craft.  Before Christmas I used a 40% off coupon at Michaels and bought etching cream.  I had never used it before but I had a few Christmas gift ideas in mind.  With minimal effort, I had some seriously cute gifts! 

So after recommitting myself to WW, a new idea popped into my head.  I love wine!  Sauvignon Blanc to be exact.  It rivals my love for coffee (although coffee always wins).  So I got to thinking that I'd hate to measure out a glass of wine with a measuring cup.  I've done it before but that seems a little excessive to me.  Eyeballing it's also not an option (ya know, a little more here and a little more there adds up).  So I whipped out my supplies.

My pocket guide tells me that 4 oz (1/2 cup) of wine is 2 points.  I use the old plan.  I have tried the new plan and do not like it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I have a ton of wine glasses so I chose the first one I saw and dug through my drawer of stickers.  You don't have a drawer of stickers?  I ended up using larger stickers instead of the ones in the photo.

I measured out 1/2 cup of water.  I don't waste wine and it's only noon.

With the water in the glass, I placed painter's tape just below the water line and just above it.

And here is the star of the show.  This product is cheap, does it's job and lasts a long time.  And your project will be dishwasher safe!

The coloring in this picture is a little funky but you get the idea.  More is more in this case.  You want to completely cover the area between the painter's tape.  But not so much that it's a drippy mess.  It's pretty thick so no worries.

After about 5 minutes you run the glass under hot water and the etching cream will wash away and the tape will start to peel from the glass.  I dried it thoroughly and took a number 2 out of my stash.  You want the negative of the image and press it down good so there's no seepage.

The possibilities are endless.  You can forgo the line or number and place any sticker where the 1/2 cup mark hits.  I chose to have the 2 there so I could easily remember what to track...in case I were to have two servings and things started getting fuzzy! : )

This is just water and food coloring so the etching was more apparent.  Again, I don't waste wine.
See, you can lose weight and still enjoy treats in moderation.  I think I better make a few in case I have any WW buddies over for dinner!

Linking up with:
Cowgirl Up @ Farmhouse Porch
Rock N' Share @ The Shady Porch
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Market Yourself Monday @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Thrift'n on a Thursday @ Savvy City Farmer

25 comments:

  1. i just gave up flour products for lent because i am a huge bread freak.... like eat it unnecessarily because i just want it in my tummy! so hoping that will help me just cut back when the 40 days are over.
    and i think this is a cute, really cute, project, but it depressed me because i drink a couple glasses of wine 2 nights a week, and my glass is filled almost to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you say tumbler??

    I, too gave up whote flour and sugar for lent ... alomost 4 pounds in 5 days ...
    what's with that/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great idea and it's cute too! I have that etching stuff from a craft project fail. :) I love the idea of etching things on wine glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cute idea! Love that it looks nice and serves a very good purpose. Not that I've EVER wondered where the entire bottle of wine went? I certainly didn't drink it all. Did I? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most darling idea...in fact I absolutely I love it! I love wine too! I may just buy a bunch of inexpensive wine glasses and make up a batch of these for the next time I have friends over. They will have a no brainer when it comes to drinking wine! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute project! And good luck with your weight watchers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for recommitting! And best of all, for figuring out how to incorporate a moderate amount of wine into the plan!!
    I've always wanted to try that etching product.....your glass looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea and it's super cute! I need to try some etching cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. that glass is freaking awesome!!! What a great idea!!
    2. Getting back on track is hard, but I know you can do it! Writing down everything you eat will help. Working out is a great way to be able to eat a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you did get my attention and made me laugh too! Smart idea! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good information. Lucky me I ran across your blog
    by accident (stumbleupon). I've saved it for later!

    Review my web-site african mango plus
    my site - african mango plus

    ReplyDelete


  12. Here is my web site; website

    ReplyDelete


  13. Review my weblog - site

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Florida! I'm bored at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you provide here and can't wait to take a look when I get home.
    I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just
    3G .. Anyways, excellent blog!

    Here is my web site: http://infraredpeople.com/pg/profile/ChristaAl

    ReplyDelete
  15. I simply couldn't depart your site before suggesting that I actually loved the usual information a person supply to your guests? Is gonna be again regularly to inspect new posts

    My page; asilomanila.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
    myspace group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers

    Also visit my blog post; relic watches

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I
    ended up losing several weeks of hard work due to no backup.
    Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

    Feel free to visit my web-site - seo keywords

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful points altogether, you simply received a new reader.
    What could you suggest about your publish that you made a few days in the past?

    Any sure?

    My webpage: www.rahpouyan.eu

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that was strange. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over
    again. Anyway, just wanted to say wonderful blog!


    Take a look at my web blog :: phillyclassics.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greate pieces. Keep posting such kind of info on your site.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You've performed a fantastic job. I will certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.

    Feel free to surf to my blog - online business for dummies

    ReplyDelete
  21. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message
    home a bit, but instead of that, this is great blog.
    A great read. I'll certainly be back.

    Also visit my webpage :: openfree.20.free.fr

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, after reading this amazing post i am too cheerful to share my experience
    here with friends.

    my homepage womens watches

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this write-up plus the rest
    of the site is also very good.

    Feel free to visit my webpage ... vestal watches for men

    ReplyDelete
  24. When some one searches for his essential thing, therefore he/she desires to be available that in detail, therefore that thing is maintained over here.


    Feel free to surf to my website ... Uni-Sb.De

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...