Monday, January 9, 2012

Treasure Hunting

Not too far from my home is the most amazing street for "treasure hunting" (or "junk collecting" according to my husband).  Almost every time I travel this route, there is furniture left along the roadside.  Sometimes it truly is trash but many times it's treasure!  I have found some of my most loved pieces on this particular road. 

About a month ago, I was driving to dinner with the kids and spotted this chair...

Yes, my tile grout is horrible.  I spent the better part of a week last Spring scrubbing and sealing and inhaling toxic fumes and they look only slightly better. 
 My heart skipped a beat but I drove on by thinking it must be broken.  Well the little nagging voice inside my head told me to turn around and check it out.  My kids were pleading with me, "Mom, it's so embarrassing!"  That didn't stop me.  I was already dreaming of which room it would live in!  And score...there was nothing wrong with it.  I have to admit it was slightly embarrassing.  The chair is heavy...extremely heavy...and I was hobbling back to the car with it in high heels.  But it was mine, all mine!

I spent the remaining car ride daydreaming about what to do with it.  Should I paint it?  What color?  What will the expression on my husband's face look like when he sees the hundredth chair come through the door only to die a slow death in my dungeon of misfit furniture (aka basement)?  I already had my defense ready.  I mean this chair swivels...AND rocks!  I was itching to get back home after dinner.  I lugged it into the house and surprise - he liked it.  This is where I got to thinking about all of the painted wood in my house.  I can never just leave well enough alone.  Funny side story...I was shopping with my seven year old daughter when we spotted a black wooden cutout of the word LOVE.  In all seriousness, my daughter said, "Mom, are you going to buy that and paint it white?"  Yup, it's a problem.  Anyway, back to the chair.  I remembered I had a can of Scott's Liquid Gold (love this stuff)!   
 

Five minutes later my chair was looking pretty good!  Well, aside from the plastic gold wheels that were later attached to the bottom (this chair is old).  I'm in the market for some metal casters and it will be the perfect addition to our office!

Don't mind the painting going on the background.  Something is always getting painted around here.

It really is true - one man's trash is another man's treasure!  And here's a side by side...



4 comments:

  1. Wow! I've forgotten about liquid gold. I used to use it all the time back when I had wood paneling and pine furniture. Didn't even know they still made it.
    LOVE that chair, what a great find that was. yup, I've done the high heels and dress clothes curbshopping before. I know that routine all too well! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty! we have a bankers chair very similar but it doesn't have arms to it. Ours still has the original casters but it wasn't free, a steal but not as big of a steal as you got! My hubby insisted I leave it it's original color as well, 2 years later it's still it's natural wood tone. love your find!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! It's linky party time again on my blog! I hope you can join! Here is the link! Your friends are welcome too! http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party-2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...that's beautiful! It's amazing what a little polishing and effort can do!

    Excellent find!!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...