Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Little Bit of Spring

I love decorating for Christmas.  It's the only holiday where I really go over the top.  We don't host Thanksgiving dinner here, so on November 1st I pull out all of my Christmas decor.  Some people think I'm crazy but it's a lot of work and I like to enjoy it as long as possible.

After Christmas passes, it's time for the not-so-fun part of packing away the decor for another year.  I know I'm not the only one who feels like suddenly the house is naked and needs some sprucing up.  It's no longer Christmas but not quite Spring.  Even if the warmer weather is months away, it's never too early to get in the spirit...the spirit of Spring, yes?

For the last two months I had two four foot faux Christmas trees flanking each side of the fireplace (I wish I had taken pictures).  I loved seeing them in my living room all lit up every night!  When it was time to stuff the trees in the closet, I was left with a very naked hearth.  I didn't want to part with the 1 foot urns that the Christmas trees sat in so I was hoping to incorporate them in my year-round decor somehow. 

This was my bare fireplace this morning... 


After dropping this kids off at school, I made a quick trip to Home Depot to check out their plants.  I purchased two plants at $4.98 each.
   

I was hoping to drop the plants (plastic planters and all) into my urns...


But I hit a snag.  A metal rod in the center of the urns wouldn't allow the planters to drop in and be hidden away.


What's a girl to do?  I glanced at the bottom of the planter and was happy to see three perforations in the shape of a circle.


A few snips of the scissors and I was left with this oddly shaped circle and a solution to my problem!


I placed a layer of Saran Wrap (to catch any seepage when watering) in the urn and dropped my plant inside.


Much better!  One down, one to go.


Ready for the hearth...


The plant on the left is looking a little sad but hopefully I can bring it back to life.  My track record with plants is very, very bad (hence the reason I have so many fake plants around here).  I am going to try my best to keep these alive...until Spring at least.   : )


A close-up of my Moosehead Beer crate.  I found it at a flea market and scooped it right up.  We vacation in Moosehead Lake whenever we get the chance!


Next, I need to take care of the naked mantel.  I'm thinking Valentine's Day decor!


But first I'll sit back and enjoy my little bit of Spring.


And here's a sneak peak of my other purchases from Home Depot...

Paint & Varnish Remover...this little beauty is next in line for some much needed attention!


And 3x6 subway tile.  I see tiling in my future...and watching lots of Youtube videos!


Linking up with...
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Wow Us Wednesdays @ House of Hepworths

5 comments:

  1. Love the greenery! I wish I could keep anything alive long enough to enjoy it in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so ready for spring too, even though we haven't even had our winter yet. It usually doesn't start until the end of this month and next. Where is Moosehead Lake? We will be picking the destination for my husband's family reunion soon and I want to go somewhere in New England since most of them have not been there before. Can't wait to see your other projects in mind!

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pretty! our weather has been so pretty here in San Dieog I went striaght to a x-mas mantel to a spring mantel :)
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally feel you about wanting spring to hurry up! Love the greenery and wood!! Can't wait to see more! Your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome fireplace! Your plants look beautiful and I LOVE that cute wood crate! I so wish I had a cozy fireplace in my home :/

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...