Friday, January 6, 2012

Handmade Sign


I was lucky enough to receive a Cricut Expressions machine from my husband for Christmas.  I have wanted one forever!  I don't scrapbook but I love to craft.  There are so many things you can do with this machine.  Christmas night I sat down with the manual and tried to familiarize myself with it.

I chose to make a sign as my first Cricut project.  I have lots of extra wood in my scrap pile but this piece of wood was actually my daughter's rail from her crib that she's since grown out of.  I didn't have any vinyl at home (can't wait to use some) but I did have black card stock. 

I began by filling the screw holes on the sides of the rail.  Next, I painted the wood with Annie Sloan's Old White paint.  Three light coats did the trick.  Then I used the Cricut to cut my letters and numbers out.  So much fun! 

I had the option of tracing the positive or the negative as a stencil but I didn't want to paint the tracing free hand.  I decided to use the cutouts and lightly spray the backs with spray adhesive.  I didn't measure anything out.  I just spaced them first and glued as I went along.  Next I used one coat of poly.  After allowing the poly to dry, I attached saw tooth picture hangers to the back and hung it above the door frame in my kitchen.   


I've been enjoying my FREE 4 foot sign since and have been itching to make more!  This was such a quick and easy project.  And sentimental...I'll have a piece of my daughter's crib forever!

6 comments:

  1. I love a good (big!) sign, looks awesome!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sign!!! Great job with your new toy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that you made it from a piece of your daughter's crib!!! I'm sentimental like that too. I'm thinking of taking my son's and making a bench I saw recently. Wish me luck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looooove it! I got a silhouette a while ago and I'm sad to say I have YET to figure out how to use it :( I need to get on it there are so many great things to make, like your sign!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, I need one of those cricuits! Maybe your hubs can talk to mine, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! but I have a question - What is "poly" ?

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...