Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Closer Look

My husband and I cashed in on a Christmas gift and spent last night at a spa in New Hampshire.  I've had many spa treatments before, but nothing like the Ocean Therapy Body Wrap I got yesterday.  It's supposed to flush toxins and reduce the appearance of cellulite...we shall see.  : )  We finished at the spa and had an amazing dinner with friends.  After outlet shopping this morning, we made our way home to see the kiddies.         

Lake view from our balcony
They had a lot more snow than we do!
  

We planned to watch the Patriots on the TV above the fireplace but the night got away from us in the restaurant.  Thankfully we were seated near the bar and could see the game.

It's amazing how much a little R&R can recharge you!
_____

Here's a closer look of the vignette on top of my hutch-turned-buffet

I'm all about working with what you have and spending little money on decorating. 


The "tray" is actually is a wooden wine box we had laying around.  After popping out the dividers, I painted the unfinished wood with a very diluted mix of brown paint and water. 

The base of the tray is covered with an American flag.  We had this particular flag hanging outside for years and it became tattered and was torn to pieces.  I bought a new one for the front yard and did not want to waste the torn pieces of the old one.  I used spray adhesive to adhere the flag to the base and trimmed the excess fabric.  I did have a friend ask about reusing the American flag.  After researching a bit, I've found out that you can bury or donate old flags to an Elks Lodge (or similar group).  I have quite a few friends and family members who are veterans and would never intentionally disrespect a flag.  At the time this project was completed, I had no idea of the proper way to dispose of an old American flag.


The rusted tin can was found at a yard sale for $1 and I bought the faux boxwood plant at Ikea (it was $5.99). 

The white ceramic pitcher was a gift from my wedding shower and the dried yellow flowers are from a local farm that has the most amazing selection of dried flowers hanging from the ceiling of a barn (they were $2.99).  The farm really deserves a post of it's own.
 

The two vintage books were bought at a charitable thrift store for $1 each.

The tray I created isn't perfect but nothing around here is!  Not a bad vignette for under $15!
_____

I had a few inquiries about the shower curtain in my bathroom renovation post.  I bought it here.  It's listed in their Winter Clearance section now.  The price is really great!  It comes in beige and white - I have the white.

I'm linking up with:
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.

2 comments:

  1. Hello sweet friend!

    I just wanted you to know that I linked to you today on the blog about the impossibilities challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little vignette! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...