Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Buffet Makeover

I love refinishing furniture.  More importantly, I love refinishing free furniture.  It's a feeling of sweet victory when you can give new life to a piece that was heading to the landfill. 

Years ago, my parent's friends were buying a new dining room set.  They were trashing a buffet/hutch and a corner hutch unit (not a matching set).  My Dad loaded his truck up and brought them to me. 


I loved them!  And we all lived happily ever after...

until...

I decided that our monster hutch/buffet combo was beautiful but also an eyesore.  We don't have much space in the dining room and this piece visually took up a lot of room.  I daydreamed about it.  There weren't any options for moving it to another location.  I even briefly listed it for free on Craigslist...hoping that in some Craigslist-circle-of-life-karma I'd find a smaller buffet (with no top) for the space.  But I chickened out when my inbox started overflowing.  There had to be something I could do.  Then it dawned on me.  When it was delivered to me, it came in two pieces. 

I immediately unscrewed the hutch top from the buffet base but was a little devastated to learn that once the hutch was removed, the buffet was topless...as in, you could see into the drawers looking down.  Obviously something needed to be done.  My husband had already moved the hutch off with me...there was no turning back.  I immediately hopped in the car and drove to Home Depot.  With my measurements in hand, I bought a piece of wood and had them cut it down to size (they make cuts for free, which is handy for people like me who'd like to keep hands attached to my body). 

Once home, I began sanding the top and chose a stain that was very close to the buffet's original color.  This was important because, although I was planning on painting it black, I wanted to really rough it up.  I wanted the top to be a close match to the sanded patches.  The next morning I painted the base Pitch Black with Old Fashioned Milk Paint.  The company recommends adding Extra-Bond for supreme adhesion but I knew I'd be giving it a good sanding.  After sanding, I wiped the buffet down with a tack cloth.  A couple of coats of poly and the old brass hardware freshly spray painted black...and my new-to-me buffet was almost done!  I used liquid nails to adhere my new stained top to the base.  A couple of heavy items and a few hours later and the two pieces looked like they had always belonged together. 

It's amazing how much this room has opened up by removing the hutch.  It's also the first thing I see when I enter the house and that makes me happy every day!


(BTW, the hutch top lived happily ever after with a woman who was DIYing a laundry room in her new house.  I was happy it was going to be loved...and I'm hoping to be on the receiving end of good Craigslist karma next time!)

I'm linking up with:
Hookin Up With HOH Every Thursday @ House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @The Shabby Creek Cottage
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Overflowing With Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Catch As Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
One Stop Shoppe Linky Party @ The Southern Product Queen
Friday at The Charm of Home @ The Charm of Home
Rock 'N Share @ The Shady Porch
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Lovely Crafty Weekend @ Lovely Crafty Home
Features & Simply Creations @ Simple Home Life
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane Boutique
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
Piece of Work Wednesday @ Primitive & Proper
Crafty Scrappy Happy Me Thursday @ Crafty Scrappy Happy

19 comments:

  1. That is brilliant! And nicely accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME transformation! I'm glad you're blogging and so glad you stopped by to say hi!!! I'd LOVE to have you link this awesome furniture at Overflowing with Creativity, open right now on my blog! My readers would LOVE this!!! I often feature my readers on FB and twitter, too! Can't wait to see what else you create!!! Sweet parents for sharing and sweet you for sharing the top on CL too! Hmm, laundry room, that's an idea!!! I'm your newest follower and would love to have you return the "love" when you stop by on your next visit!!! XO, Aimee

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a small world!!! LOL!!! Glad to be bloggy friends with you!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful job Jeannie! You visited and asked about extra-bond. No, I did not need to use it on my project as the milk paint I use is already premixed and contains a bonding agent. I have not tried the milk paint that needs to be mixed. But if your buffet is any indication, it works like a dream! ... Did you know that you are a non-reply commentor? That means that when you leave a comment on my blog or elsewhere, I can't just hit reply and comment back. Luckily you left your blog address and I could leave a comment here. But this is an easy fix in your profile setting and I highly recommend making the change. You want people to find you easily! And if you don't already have your comments sent directy to an email address, I highly recommend it. Once you get a few more posts, you won't go back to the early ones and you'll miss lots of comments. Plus it's so easy to reply from an email account. And one last tip, remove word verification. You really don't need it and some people refuse to comment if they have to take an extra step. So there you have it, my blog tips for the day! I hope you'll visit again and link up to my new Tuesday link party starting next week. I would love to feature new bloggers like you! Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with this piece. Would like to invite you to join my weekly Wow Us Wednesdays party, too some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for joining my linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I'm glad that even though they are separated, they are living happily ever after! :)
    great job on your buffet!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fantastic job on that buffet! LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful makeover! I would be happy walking in and that being the 1st thing I see too! Great job! I love that the top found a home too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! Found you over at My Repurposed Life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new look of the buffet! Thanks for sharing this at the Open House Party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out fantastic...love it! I enjoy finding new creative blogs...like yours, so I'm a new follower. Stop by and visit anytime, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there- what a fantastic piece~ it's gorgeous! You are welcome to come share at Feathered Nest Friday sometime too if you would like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks absolutely beautiful and you did a fabulous job transforming it! :-) Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! I should have done that with mine before I sold it. Major mistake. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I'm your newest follower from no minimalist here! Happy New Year- Stop by for a visit!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the new chippy worn finish! and i agree that the room feels much more open! we have a sideboard in our dining room and i really need more storage, but i am fighting putting a china cabinet in there for the reason of wanting it so open!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. oooooooooooooooohhhhh how amazing!!!! I am completely drooling.... I LOVE the final product!!! great job!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...