Years ago, my parent's friends were buying a new dining room set. They were trashing a buffet/hutch and a corner hutch unit (not a matching set). My Dad loaded his truck up and brought them to me.
I loved them! And we all lived happily ever after...
I decided that our monster hutch/buffet combo was beautiful but also an eyesore. We don't have much space in the dining room and this piece visually took up a lot of room. I daydreamed about it. There weren't any options for moving it to another location. I even briefly listed it for free on Craigslist...hoping that in some Craigslist-circle-of-life-karma I'd find a smaller buffet (with no top) for the space. But I chickened out when my inbox started overflowing. There had to be something I could do. Then it dawned on me. When it was delivered to me, it came in two pieces.
I immediately unscrewed the hutch top from the buffet base but was a little devastated to learn that once the hutch was removed, the buffet was topless...as in, you could see into the drawers looking down. Obviously something needed to be done. My husband had already moved the hutch off with me...there was no turning back. I immediately hopped in the car and drove to Home Depot. With my measurements in hand, I bought a piece of wood and had them cut it down to size (they make cuts for free, which is handy for people like me who'd like to keep hands attached to my body).
Once home, I began sanding the top and chose a stain that was very close to the buffet's original color. This was important because, although I was planning on painting it black, I wanted to really rough it up. I wanted the top to be a close match to the sanded patches. The next morning I painted the base Pitch Black with Old Fashioned Milk Paint. The company recommends adding Extra-Bond for supreme adhesion but I knew I'd be giving it a good sanding. After sanding, I wiped the buffet down with a tack cloth. A couple of coats of poly and the old brass hardware freshly spray painted black...and my new-to-me buffet was almost done! I used liquid nails to adhere my new stained top to the base. A couple of heavy items and a few hours later and the two pieces looked like they had always belonged together.
(BTW, the hutch top lived happily ever after with a woman who was DIYing a laundry room in her new house. I was happy it was going to be loved...and I'm hoping to be on the receiving end of good Craigslist karma next time!)
I'm linking up with:
Hookin Up With HOH Every Thursday @ House of Hepworths
Doin' it Yourself Link Party @ aka design
Transformation Thursday @The Shabby Creek Cottage
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Overflowing With Creativity @ It's Overflowing
Inspiration Friday @ At The Picket Fence
Catch As Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life
One Stop Shoppe Linky Party @ The Southern Product Queen
Friday at The Charm of Home @ The Charm of Home
Rock 'N Share @ The Shady Porch
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Before and After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Lovely Crafty Weekend @ Lovely Crafty Home
Features & Simply Creations @ Simple Home Life
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane Boutique
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
Piece of Work Wednesday @ Primitive & Proper
Crafty Scrappy Happy Me Thursday @ Crafty Scrappy Happy