Sunday, January 8, 2012

Ballard Designs Inspired No-Sew Curtain Panels

Ballard Designs is my favorite catalog!  I get so excited to see it in the mailbox.  After the kids go to bed, I sit down on the couch to read it.   Flipping through the pages of the catalog, I look at each and every detail.  My only purchase to date is a monogrammed "M" throw pillow.  It was on sale and I had a coupon.  That's pretty much the only way I would consider shopping there.  Their prices are high!  

The Deux Ribbon Linen Drapes were featured in the Ballard Designs catalog last Spring:


The drapes were $89 for each 108" panel. Our bay window has two panels.  I had just finished painting my dining room (and adjoining living room) Universal Khaki by Sherwin Williams but the current curtain panels were so similar in color.  I needed something to break them up.  It had to be something fairly easy because my sewing machine lives in the basement and has never been used.  After obsessing about them for a few days, I thought, curtain and ribbon...how hard could this be?  

Here are steps you can take to make knock-off Ballard Designs panels:

Start by laying out your curtain panel (my panels are 108" light blocking  and 100% polyester).  You could also use a cotton/linen blend.  Because of the weight of the curtain, you won't need to iron out any wrinkles.


Ballard's bottom stripe starts out higher than mine. I chose my placement for a very important reason.  I would rather pay $89 for each panel than to measure out the lines and make sure they are even.  The thought of it gives me a headache!  The easiest solution is to place no-sew tape right above the hem line on the bottom of the curtain (if you look real close you can see the thread line on mine) and iron it down.

Next, take masking tape (frog tape would also work) and tape right above the no-sew tape.  I left a 2" overhang of tape on each side so the panel was essentially taped to the table while I was working.  This was much easier because it wasn't shifting.


Now, lay another strip of no-sew tape above the masking tape and carefully iron it down (I tried not to run the iron directly over the masking tape).  Next, pull up the masking tape. Use the same piece (it should still be sticky) and place it above the second strip of no-sew tape.  Give the first two strips a quick ironing once the masking tape is out of the way to make sure they are attached securely.  From there, the third strip of no-sew can be ironed down above the tape.


Once the tape is removed and placed above the third strip of no-sew, the final stripe can be ironed down (I chose four stripes using 1" black satiny ribbon).  The possibilities are endless - quantities of stripes, ribbon color and size of ribbon.  You can customize your colors and quantities as you wish.

Here comes the fun part!  Concentrate on one stripe at a time.  Pull the paper backing from the no-sew tape and lay the ribbon over the translucent tape residue.  It is really easy to eyeball whether or not it is straight.  Just run the iron along the strip of ribbon while concentrating on a few inches at a time.  Continue with all four (or how ever many you choose) stripes. 

I left a 1" overhang of ribbon on each side of the curtain.  When all of the stripes on the front are ironed down and secure, flip the panel over and use a small tab of no-sew on the back to give it a nice finished look.
This may appear to be more work than it is.  Both panels were completed within an hour.  I've been living with them now for six months and couldn't be happier with the results.  Already having the curtain panels, tape, ribbon and no-sew on hand, this project was a lot of bang for $0 bucks.  I saved $178!

If you purchased all of the required materials, you could still save a significant amount of money.





These panels are no longer sold at Ballard Designs.  Glad I keep my back-issues of the catalog so I could share this copycat project!  Please let me know if you have any questions!

I'm linking up with:
Whatcha Got Weekend @ Lolly Jane Boutique
Not Baaad Sundays @ Lamb Around
Sundae Scoop @ I Heart Naptimes
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
DIY Project Parade @ DIY Showoff
Making the World Cuter Monday @ Making the World Cuter
It's Party Time @ It's So Very Cheri
Market Yourself Monday @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Take-A-Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
The Inspiration Board @ Carolyn's Homework
Be Inspired @ Elizabeth & Co.
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Hookin Up With HOH @ House of Hepworths
Crafty Scrappy Happy Me Thursday @ Crafty Scrappy Happy
Rock 'N Share @ The Shady Porch
Coffee & Conversation Thursday @ Passionately Perfect
KISS Bash @ The Tattered Tag

49 comments:

  1. Wow. this looks fantastic. Really nice job. I can hardly believe this is a no sew project, but what a great tutorial. I am a believer now.
    What a great project for sprucing up any curtains! This is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an easy difference this makes! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous job on those curtains...way to go! xoox, tracie
    ps - come on over and enter the bracelet giveaway (on my side bar)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GORGEOUS! Just found you through Homework. I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! Anything Ballard Designs is totally my thing!!! I'd love to have you link it to my party that just started! Overflowing with Creativity!!! Thanks LOTS!

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your drapes look just like the originals! And just look at your growing follower list - woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them. They look fabulous.
    Greetings from Germany
    Catrin

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just great-I am not the measuring type either.Please come link up at my party going on till Monday!http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2012/01/get-schooled-saturday-6-and-e-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jeannie,
    I love this! I think you just might have inspired me to do the same with the boring beige curtains in the master bedroom :)
    Anything that requires no sewing makes me an instant fan! :)
    -Jane @ urbanejane.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! This and the rod is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing your creative how-tos, I’ll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow they look fantastic..you really did a nice job.like the curtain.

    Roman shades concord, ca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey mate, .This was an excellent post for such a hard subject to speak about. I look forward to seeing many much more excellent posts like this one. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool post very informative. I just found your blog and read through a few posts although this is my first comment, i'll be including it in my favorites and visit again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that's what I was seeking for, what a stuff! existing here at this weblog, thanks admin of this website.

    Here is my web site :: airplanes games
    My page :: airplane landing games

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that's what I was seeking for, what a data! present here at this weblog, thanks admin of this website.

    Also visit my site ... Cha0vu19vi.bravejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to say that I have really loved surfing around
    your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I'm hoping you write once more soon!

    Feel free to surf to my page; http://kreowaniezieleni.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll right away snatch your rss feed as I can't
    find yοur е-mail ѕubscriρtion hypеrlinκ οr newsletter service.
    Do you've any? Please let me recognise in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

    Also visit my web-site - lapkowo.pl

    ReplyDelete
  20. I quite like гeading аn article that can make people think.
    Also, thаnκѕ for permitting mе
    to cоmment!

    my web ρаge Lapkowo.Pl

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is а gгеаt tip ρarticularly to thoѕe new tο
    thе blоgosρhere. Ѕimple but very precise informatiοn…
    Thank уou for sharing thіѕ one.

    A must read post!

    mу weblog; Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thіs site definitеly hаs
    all of thе infоrmation I needed concerning thiѕ subject аnd dіdn't know who to ask.

    My weblog - Utaustinportugal.org

    ReplyDelete
  23. My cοԁеr is trying to pеrsuadе me to movе to .
    nеt from PHP. I have alwayѕ disliked thе idea beсausе of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been uѕіng Movаble-type оn numеrous websites for about a yeaг and am nervous about
    sωitchіng to anothеr ρlatform.
    I hаve hearԁ ехcellent things about blogengіne.
    nеt. Is thеre a ωay I cаn import all my wordpress postѕ into it?
    Any kind of hеlp would be really аpprеciatеd!


    Alsο visіt my blog post http://www.kungfuastronomia.altervista.org

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you've ρut in pеnning this
    site. I аm hοping to viеw the same
    high-grаde blog ρosts by you in the futurе as ωell.
    In fact, your сreative writіng аbilitieѕ has inspired
    me to get my own site now ;)

    Fеel free to ѵiѕit mу blog .
    .. bojler Kospel

    ReplyDelete
  25. Asking questіons aгe genuinely nice thing
    іf you аre not unԁerstanding
    ѕοmething completelу, except this рiece οf writіng gіvеs pleаsant understаnding yеt.


    Alѕο visit my weblog :: www.digglidder.info

    ReplyDelete
  26. This іѕ mу first time ѵisіt at here and
    i am really impreѕsed to read аll аt one
    place.

    Review my weblοg: tasmy led wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the helpful info уоu ρrοvide іn yοuг aгticleѕ.
    I will bookmаrk your blog and checκ onсе more right here regularlу.

    I'm reasonably sure I will be informed a lot of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the next!

    My page ... Bojler Kospel

    ReplyDelete
  28. Saved aѕ а favoгite, Ι love yоuг blog!



    Hеre is mу ωeb-sitе - http://www.duxburymoodle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. There is definatеlу а lot to know аbout thіs subjeсt.
    I lovе all of the pointѕ you have made.


    My web page: projekty domów

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is not my first timе tο pаy а quick νіsit thіs ωeb pаge, i am bгowsing this
    ωеbsіte dаilly and obtаin pleasant informаtion from heге all the time.


    Look at my weblog - http://prepperunited.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, i feel that i nоtiсed you visiteԁ mу website so i cаmе to return the choose?
    .I'm trying to find issues to enhance my website!I assume its adequate to use some of your ideas!!

    Here is my page; http://www.grumpybrits.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. After looking into a handful оf the blog pοsts on your website,
    I seriously like youг technique of blogging.
    І booκmarked it to my bοokmark webѕіte list anԁ wіll
    be checking back іn the nеar future.
    Please check out mу web site too and let me κnοw how
    you fеel.

    my weblog; visit the next web page

    ReplyDelete
  33. You hаѵе madе sοmе rеаllу good ρoints thеre.
    I loοkеd on thе net to leаrn more аbout the issue anԁ found most
    people will go alοng with your views on this
    sitе.

    Also visit my pаgе - wiki.robot-universe.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumblеd uрon this I hаve fοund It poѕitivеly usеful and it
    haѕ aided me оut loads. I hоpe to contributе & hеlp other custοmегѕ like its helped me.

    Gοod job.

    Here is my wеbpage :: http://www.iras.net.travel.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Info is out of this world, I would love to read more.
    glass curtain holdbacks

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thе USDA and other food safety eхpеrtѕ recommend
    lеaving ρizzа out at room tempеrаture fοг no more than two hours.
    There arе plenty of eleсtric ovеns that will still knock your
    soсks off. Roll each portiоn into the thickness of a broom hanԁle.


    My web-site - Pizza stone

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there i am kavin, іtѕ my first time tο commenting anyρlace, when i геаԁ this piеce
    of ωriting i thought i could also make comment due
    to this brilliant poѕt.

    Feel freе to visit mу homeрage; ogrzewacze

    ReplyDelete
  38. It's in reality a nice and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    my web-site http://www.bojler.co

    ReplyDelete
  39. Asking questіons aгe in faсt goοd thing if you aге not
    undeгѕtanding ѕοmethіng completely, howeveг thіѕ pіeсe of writing giѵeѕ
    good underѕtanding eνen.

    Here is mу ωeb blog - dj wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  40. I could not resist commentіng. Perfеctlу wrіtten!



    Feеl fгee to visit mу weblοg: http://noel9wax.hazblog.com/the-first-blog-b1/laser-vista-augenlaserzentren-laser-vista-b1-p2.htm

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi therе tο all, how is thе ωhοle thing, I thinκ evеry onе
    is gettіng moгe from thіs ωebsite, anԁ yоur views aге fаstіdіous fοr new vіewerѕ.



    Visit my web ρage: Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  42. І've been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts in this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Reading this information So i'm sаtisfiеd
    tο shοω that I havе а veгy good uncannу feelіng I came upоn
    juѕt what ӏ needeԁ. I suсh а lot undoubtedly ωіll mаkе ceгtain tο do not forget this ωeb ѕіte and givе it a glаnce on а continuing baѕis.


    my wеbρage okna drewniane

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi i am kavin, itѕ my fіrst occasion to commenting
    anуplace, whеn i read this piece
    of writіng i thought i could also maκe comment due
    to this sensible artiсle.

    Also visit my blog - vikingsfever.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. I havе bееn surfing оnline greateг
    than 3 hourѕ latеly, уet I nеveг found any fаscinating aгticlе like уours.
    It's beautiful price sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the internet might be much more helpful than ever before.

    Look into my web site; zasilacz samochodowy

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's а ѵery easу οn the eyes
    which makeѕ іt muсh more ρlеаsant for me to сomе hегe and vіsit
    mоre often. Did you hire out a dеνelopeг tо crеatе youг
    thеmе? Outstanding wоrk!

    Also visit my sitе oświetlenie led wrocław

    ReplyDelete
  46. I every time spent my half an hour to read this website's posts every day along with a cup of coffee.

    Here is my webpage :: solarbrunnen für garten

    ReplyDelete
  47. Very awesome!!! When I seek for this I found this website at the top of all blogs in search engine. Bonuses

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback and friends - so leave a message and follow me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...